We are excited for our second Hadar Winter Learning Institute in the DC area, a multi-day immersive learning program on December 22-24, 2019, held at Adas Israel Congregation (2850 Quebec St. NW). This program is for adults of all ages who are looking for deep Jewish learning, and we welcome participants from across the denominational spectrum, and from all Jewish educational backgrounds. Learn with members of Hadar's faculty!
Explore this year's theme and schedule!
Hiyyuv: Embracing Jewish Obligation
Jews traditionally believe that we are born into a covenant and its attendant obligations. What does that mean and where do those obligations stem from? Why are we obligated to do what God asks? Together we will explore such questions as:
- Jewish tradition assumes that rabbis are invested with the authority to determine Jewish law—why should we follow their decisions and defer to their judgment?
- Can we be obligated to feel or believe?
- Judaism says that we have an extensive set of interpersonal obligations—what do we owe other people and why?
- Is religiously grounded morality different from secular morality?
Children's Programming will be available!
In addition to our adult programming, once again we are hosting parallel programming for children this year, for those in kindergarten through high school (subject to change based on the needs of participants).
This is more than babysitting! Your children will participate in meaningful, age-appropriate educational experiences, created by faculty at the Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School. The theme of the learning will be, as for adults, the concept of religious obligation. You can then discuss what you've learned over meals together. For more information about children's programming, you can reach out to Talia Graff at [email protected].
- Sunday, December 22: 10:30am-6:45pm
- Monday, December 23: 9:30am-6:45pm
- Tuesday, December 24: 9:15am-12:00pm
Meals will be with parents.
Our 2019 Partners
We are grateful to Adas Israel Congregation for hosting the 2019 Winter Learning Institute!
Stay tuned for information about DCWLI 2020!